Well, it seems that the odds are against me these days as the "lager" that I am trying to ferment at the moment is being stymied by uncharacteristically warm temperatures. Dangit. I was banking on low 60's at most and here we are looking at mid 70's during the day.
Normally, I'd follow good ol' Charlie P.'s advice and not worry. Problem is with the previously mentioned issues in measurement I expect I'll have some trouble knowing for sure if the beer in the fermenter has finished for real. Not that I expect the ABV to hit the mark or anything but until I can figure out where the measurements are off I can't use a calculator to know if I've hit a target.
I did some searching to see where I could be off. I'm generally ignoring the SRM discrepancy since that could be chalked up to scorching. I don't suspect that's my problem but since it is a possibility I am assuming for the time being that's the flaw there. That being said, based on some forum searches I guess it isn't uncommon for the cheap-y brewing hydrometers to be off some. Unfortunately not the 40 points I'm seeing. I may get a new hydrometer and compare the two.
I don't understand how the first bunch of attempts were within the margins of all the calculations and recently my forays into beer brewing have been met with faulty outcomes.
I may try and brew a few considerably smaller batches to get a larger sample size to check my method and equipment.
In the meantime, I'll have to keep my eye on the currently sour smelling fermentation going on in the corner.
No comments:
Post a Comment